If we ask you a simple question that which is the most sacred part of the house vastu? Your answer is puja room or pooja room without a second thought. But notably, while planning your dream home, people of big cities often ignore keeping a separate place for puja room because of limited space and give much importance to design other rooms in their house as per vastu guidelines. But why? Whenever problems arise in your life, you go to your worshipped God, pray to him for the solution, or seek mercy. According to vastu shastra, the puja room is a place for worshiping your creator and controlling every action in the universe. It would help if you did not keep the pooja room as per vastu. Puja room is the epicenter of divine positive energies of your home. For this reason, the vastu architects give special attention to design puja rooms to connect us with divine powers. Proper Vastu-compliant puja rooms or mandirs not only make our prayers fruitful but also eliminate the negative energies lurking around the home.
Most people have some common queries related to vastu for puja room (about the direction of the temple and best facings for the puja mandir in-home, best facings for the idols, and so on). Don’t worry! In this article, we’ll explore the significant facts of vastu for pooja room.
• Ideal locations for the puja room as per vastu
• Ideal facings for the pooja room and the worshippers while praying
• Ideal facings for the idol, pictures in the puja room
• Vastu guidelines for color and light arrangement of home temple
• Vastu guidelines for puja room in flat
• Vastu for home mandir
• General Vastu tips for Pooja room
Ideal locations for the puja room as per vastu
The directions or ideal locations of the puja room play a significant role in determining the overall Vastu of the home. According to ‘Vastu Shastra,’ each direction has some unique attributes. Keep in mind not all directions are suitable for worshipping all gods. Let’s have a look:
North East Zone
Another name of this zone is the Ishanya zone, considered as the zone of Lord Shiva. This zone is ideal for placing your puja room whoever your worshipped God is.
The Vedic scriptures refer to the Sun as the “soul of the world.” According to the Vastu for puja room, you consider this zone another auspicious zone for puja room placement next to the northeast zone.
Are your family deity is Goddess Durga? Then according to Vastu, for a puja room, the southeast zone should be your primary choice of placing your puja room. However, you better not choose this location for other deities.
Though this zone is the opposite of the northeast zone, it has few guidelines for worshipping any deity. But you can do Vishwakarma puja here.
The west zone is believed as the zone of Gurus (if you are a worshipper of a spiritual leader). However, this zone is auspicious for puja room placement as well.
This zone is not ideal for placing the puja room of your worshipping deities. In some communities, there is a practice of honoring deceased ancestors of the family. You should better consult a Vastu consultant for guidelines related to it.
As per Vastu for puja rooms, this zone is ideal for office and factory temples, and it is also suitable for placing your home puja room here. Lord Ganesha and goddess Lakshmi are the main worshipped deities in the north zone puja room. But better, avoid worshipping other Gods here.
As we find the Jain dharma followers place their puja room in the kitchen. There is also confusion among people about whether they should arrange a pooja room in the kitchen. So, better consult with a vastu consultant for further clarification or guidance.
Ideal facings for the puja room and the worshippers while praying
According to the position of a house, the ideal facing of the puja room plays a crucial role in Vastu for puja room. Let’s have a glance:
• In east-facing homes, the puja room should be in the north or east corner. So that a worshipper faces either of these directions while worshipping his God. This auspicious facing ensures wealth and knowledge in life.
• In north-facing houses, we should position the puja room in the northeast direction, and the worshipper should face the northeast direction while praying.
• In the west-facing house, we again consider the most promising location for a puja room in the northeast corner of the house.
Ideal facings for the idol, pictures of deities in the Mandir Vastu
Now we ask you a simple question again: What is most important to you next to the perfect locations of the puja room as per vastu shastra? Yes, it’s the ideal placement of idols. Failures can cause inviting negative energies into your home. In each puja room, we can see some religious idols or pictures or both. As per pooja room Vastu, the northeast, east and west directions are ideal directions to place idols or images of deities and place them so that they face west or south, or east. However, avoid north facing and make sure that the idols do not face each other at all costs.
Vastu guidelines for color and light arrangement in pooja room
Colors, another essential fact we must keep in mind while designing a puja room. As it has a profound impact in determining the overall puja room Vastu. Though according to the vastu shastra, the perfect color for the puja room depends on its zone. But light colors should be the best option, as per vastu for puja rooms because they enhance the positive aura of the area and create ideal surroundings for worshipping. Arrangement of proper lightning besides colors also has the potential to uplift the puja room Vastu. Install windows in such a way in the puja room; it allows the sunlight, the source of abundant positive energies, inside during the day. Similarly, after sunset, arrange the lamps or candles so that the place is kept well illuminated. Never keep the area in front of the idols in the dark.
Vastu guidelines for puja room in flats or Apartments
As previously said, most of us live in a flat because of ever-increasing space constraints. The flats do not have enough place. In that case, having a separate puja room is nothing but a luxury for too many of us. Then what is the solution? As per Vastu for puja rooms, you can keep your pooja unit in the living room for small flats. Never build the pooja room or mandir in the basement or on the elevated floors.
Vastu for home Mandir or temple
While constructing a mandir/temple in the home, choose the northeastern or eastern corner of the house for its ideal placement as per Vastu for the home mandir. Use rosewood or marble to make the mandir. As they are auspicious, according to ‘Vastu Shastra.’ It would be best if you did not keep the place directly on the floor. Instead, place it on a pedestal or raised platform. The pyramid or gopura-shaped ceiling is considered more suitable as per Vastu for the home mandir. Also, make a low ceiling. As it is believed in Vastu Shastra for puja room, that a low ceiling ensures better channeling of positive vibration.
General Vastu Tips for Pooja room
Here we come with the tips of the Vastu specialists about what to do and what to avoid to make your puja room more Vastu compliant :
What to do
• Keep only one place for worship and devotion in your house. Make that place a focus of reverence for every member of your family.
• If you use tiles in a puja room, they must be light-colored and made of natural stones like marble or granite.
• Use dim light in puja rooms, just like temples.
• Sit facing east or north while meditating in front of God for better insights.
• Keep a distance of at least an inch from the wall while placing idols on singhason (god throne).
• Make the idols 9-10 inches in height (not more than that).
• Always sit on asana made of natural materials while worshipping your God.
• There are many items like cotton, lamps, holy books, incense sticks, holy water, etc., we have to keep in the puja room. Vastu places these items in a cupboard in the lower south or west wall, according to the puja room.
• With home mandir/temple design, the pyramid or gopura-shaped ceiling is considered more suitable per Vastu for puja room.
• Always keep your puja room clean.
• You must wear pure and clean clothes while entering the puja room.
What to avoid
• Avoid placing your puja room in the bedroom or near the toilet. · Never place puja room in the south direction. It is strictly prohibited as per puja room Vastu. · You should never make a pooja room under a staircase. · Never keep broken idols in the puja room. We should follow the same in the matter of torn pictures.
• It would help if you avoided bells, pictures of dead ancestors, dry flowers, faded images, keeping money in the puja room per puja room, Vastu. These items attract negativity.
• Avoid dark colors for puja room walls and tiles.
• The idols and pictures in the puja room should never face the puja room door.
Q 1. Which direction should God be placed?
Answer: According to ‘Vastu Shastra,’ each direction has some unique attributes. Not all directions are suitable for placing all gods. However, the northeast direction is most auspicious for placing any deity.
Q 2. What is the best direction for a puja room in a flat?
Answer: The northeast, east and west directions are the best directions of puja room in a flat.
Q 3. Can the puja room be in front of the main door?
Answer: As per Vastu for puja room, a puja room in front of the main door is never recommended. But if it is inevitable, you can use a curtain in front of the temple.
Q4. Which god idols should and should not be kept in the home?
Answer: It entirely depends on your faith. You can keep any god in your home following the proper Vastu guidelines for its placement.
Q5. Can I make a puja room in the center of the house?
Answer: Yes, the center of the house is a sacred space from which all positive energy radiates to other parts of the house. For this reason, according to ‘Vastu Shastra,’ it is preferable to build a puja room here pooja or prayer room in this part automatically radiates positive energy.
Q6. Can puja room be in kitchen Vastu?
Answer: Some communities and religious believers place their puja room in the kitchen (the Jain dharma followers place their puja room in the kitchen). They believe their kitchen is an auspicious area for placing puja room.
Q7. Can we keep God facing west?
Answer: If not possible, you can choose west as the second-best direction.
Q8. Which direction should a Hindu face when praying?
Answer: While praying, a Hindu faces the north-east, north or east direction as they are auspicious according to Vastu for pooja room.
The great shrines of Kedarnath, Badrinath, Lord Jagannath temple in Puri, and Balaji in Tirupati are constructed following the rules of ‘Vastu Shastra.’ They are the storehouse of divine energies and connect your soul with God. For this reason, they become the source of attraction for devotees, pilgrimages from different parts of the globe for ages. So, construct a puja room with the rules of ‘Vastu Shastra’ to welcome all the positive energies, peace, happiness, luck, and love in your life and to connect your soul with those divines energies. The Vastu experts in Applied Vastu guide you with proper procedures and knowledge to design a better life with guidelines, remedies, information related to the Vastu for the pooja room.